Monday, September 14, 2009

The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff




Kasey from Beautiful Mess told me about this book and since I was on a polygamy kick earlier this summer, why not continue it with this one?

It's a novel that has two story lines. The first is of the 19th wife of Brigham Young back in the 1800's, and the second is of a current day wife of a polygamist. I found that the second story line of the current day sister wife was lacking. I really just wanted to skip over that story and continue with the wife of Brigham Young. I really don't understand why he even had that second story line, I think it took away from the book rather than added entertaining fiction.

The is a novel so it does not claim to be non-fiction but it does tell of a true story and includes journals and other non-fictional writings. It was very interesting to read especially because it spoke of real life events that happened right where I live and I could actually visit the places spoken of in the book.

I'd be curious to hear of a Mormon's opinion of the book and if they think it correctly depicted the Mormon religion.

0 comments: